Monday, June 30, 2014

Ashe (Hello) South Africa!

            One more incredibly long Lufthansa flight took us from Frankfurt over just about the entirety of the African Continent to Johannesburg Int’l Airport.  Touching down was a welcome feeling indeed. Stepping off the 2 story 747-400 was an even more welcome feeling. It still amazes me that humanities knowledge can put something that big that carries hundreds of people thousands of feet in the air reliably every day. We were then greeted at the airport by Dana, a former Boston student who had graduated and moved to South Africa. He has been living in South Africa for 12 years and in that time he found a wife and they are raising two children. He was accompanied by eight volunteers from the Mamelodi Initiative who had graciously taken time out of their day to come and deliver us to the Kilnerton Conference Center in Pretoria where we will be staying for the duration of our trip

            We then went from Jo-berg (as it will now be referred to) to Pretoria. To contextualize it for you, we went from the bustling city center where everyone works to a city with far urbanized city that contains the nations capital building as well as a far more urban environment than Jo-berg. So as we squeezed our 9 drivers and hoard of volunteers into cars with the exact right number of seats and seemingly the exact right amount of cubic inches of space to allow for all the luggage we had. We left at around 11:00am SA time, which would be 5:00pm EST.

            Now, I feel a need here to stress, this drive was not done in safari jeeps on dirt roads past mud huts, it was done in a fleet Volkswagen Chicos and Toyota Avanzas down real highways that are just as good as any in America. South Africa is arguably the most industrialized nation on the continent. So, as we went on our very non-safari-esque journey to Kilnerton we drove on the left side of the road and were cautioned to a halt at what they refer to in SA as “robots”, not stoplights. This fun little variant of the English I am used to speaking will no doubt not be the last one I encounter.

            When we arrived at Kilnerton I was pleasantly welcomed with a great feel to the air, lovely trees in the courtyard and the kind South African staff. I found that we would be the only residents and this is surely going to be a nice place to have all to ourselves.  I then briefly got acquainted with my roommates for the next month Akeem Allen and Sam Bailey before we dropped off our bags and went straight out into Pretoria. When we arrived to our destination, I saw that unlike our White House in Washington D.C., the South African equivalent, called the Union building could be walked right up to. No gates restrained us from walking right out onto the lawn at the feet of the capitol, where there stands an enormous bronze statue of the recently late Nelson Mandela, forever posed as if greeting the world.

            Now I found out that we would be driving to the Menlyn Mall to stock up on anything we needed, a welcome sight seeing as I was going to need an adapter to charge my computer and do this blog. To my great surprise, Bob handed me the keys and told me I would get to drive our little Volks Chico, not just today but whenever I could hop in the drivers seat for the rest of project! A fun little car to drive, the Chico was seemingly as minimalist as a vehicle could get and they sell new for 50,000 Rand or about 5,000 US dollars.

The mall gave me the opportunity to get a converter, which I sadly forgot, but, it did give me the chance to buy some fresh biltong. Biltong is basically meat jerky but its not always beef, in fact it is often springbok, the national animal of SA.  The main difference that makes biltong so good is that its not totally dried and is covered in spices. The moistness of it left grease stains on the sides of the paper bag I had gotten filled with it. It was so good that I ate it all before we even left the parking deck.

I’ll end the post for today here, there is nothing left on the schedule and I am exhausted!

Please pray that,

God will keep us safe driving in a foreign traffic system.
For God to start revealing the story that he wants me to tell through video about the Mamelodi Initiative.


God bless and all the best,

Dylan Rollins


No comments:

Post a Comment