Sunday, July 6, 2014

Happy Independence Day from South Africa!


140704

I wish a happy belated Independence Day to all my friends in the US who are reading this. I hope your parties went of without rain and without a hitch. I hope you enjoyed maximum firepower in your mortars and bottle rockets with minimum injuries.

A note from Tuesday I forgot to mention:

When I got home Tuesday I had to respond to my students journals and write back to them. I thought that it was interesting that without my say all of their journal entry’s took the form of short essays with titles. When I told them they could write about whatever they wanted for the last portion of class this is what I got. They went like this:

Thimbe (girl): Thimbe by far had the best English and the largest vocabulary of any of my students, her whole essay was about how excited she is to learn. She wants to use her education to become an accountant and work in the SA’n Nat’l Bank. She says that she wants to be an educated woman so she can better her country.

Tsepo (boy): Tsepo’s essay had by far the most upsetting title, “I has good friends” Tsepo understands how to write but his tenses and his grammar are off. Tsepo wrote about his friends, saying he doesn’t know what he would do without them.

Vuyo (boy): Vuyo at this point has the worst English of any of the students. He spells words he doesn’t know by breaking them apart and spelling them phonetically. For instance, going is “go win” I can’t at the moment ever remember what his essay was about, but I know I responded to it by saying I would be willing to stay after school to help him with his English if he wanted to.

Zinhle (girl): Zinhle’s essay made me cry. Her title was promising, “My best friend” but as I read on it wasn’t a story with a happy ending at all. The story is either about how her best friend was nearly beaten within an inch of his life, or about how he was beaten up and died. The problem is that I can’t tell with the tense of her sentence. All I know for sure is that the kids got jumped in the bathroom of the Menlyn Mall, got hit over the head, was bleeding a lot and wasn’t breathing.

Nadipha (girl): Her journal essentially read like this, “Photography is fun. Dillen makes it a fun learning experience. I can’t wait to learn more things to make my pictures better.” We aren’t supposed to have favorites but gosh darn I have a feeling that’s about to get awfully hard.

Friday – I made it a point to get out and take some photos today. Here is my take on our morning worship, as well as just some other fun moments in our day.  

 Morning assembly.
 Worship, without me this particular day.



 Above, Friend Matt Logan and my students Nadipha (left) and Thimbe (right)




I borrowed Nadipha for a quick portrait today and this is what I got. She’s so beautiful.

Please pray that:

Nadipha will grow in her English capabilities and continue bringing her great attitude and passion to class.

Thimbe will stay on the track she is on, she believes in herself quite a lot for a 13 year old and it’s a great thing to see.

Vuyo will seek help with his math from Siya and make progress over the winter program.

Tsepo will consistently show up, he seems the least motivated of my students to be in at The Mamelodi Initiative.

Zinhle will find healing from the rough scars that she has already had to endure at such a young age.


No comments:

Post a Comment