Friday, July 25, 2014

Inherent Value Judgements

140709

Tonight during life group we read over the story of Jesus and the rich young fool. In the very beginning of this story, I realized something pretty crucial that I have been realizing over the past few months but I have not found a Biblical argument for it until now.

Matt 19: 16-17

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good[a] Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good?[b] No one is good but One, that is, God.[c] But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

What I had never gotten out of this story is that Jesus redirects the man’s value judgment of him. The man calls Jesus a good man and Jesus responds by saying only God is good. 
Now there is a very long theological debate in here somewhere and I accept that there is certainly a chance that I am wrong. That being said, it seems to me that while Jesus does not refute the mans value judgement, because Jesus is actually good, that I, being inherently separated from God by my mistakes could refute a similar value judgement. Maybe even as a believer, I should refute it and direct the praise to one that I know truly deserves it.

It hit me the first week we were here, when in out teacher training we were told not to tell our students that they are smart or dumb. I talked about this research more in depth on the blog post for the 27th. So I wondered today, what is the effect on us when we are told we are inherently good at something or just good all-around? Can we develop pride from that? The things we are really good at, I would argue are gifts God gives us and not things we should take all the credit for. 


One of the things that I learn as I become closer to God is that I am above no other human, but I am also not below them. There is an almighty and perfect God and all people. Those are the only two class distinctions that I believe in. When I look at these kids, they are all so cool and have so much to offer the world in their own unique ways. The idea that I could come here to help them is flawed because that implies that they have nothing to offer me. The opposite has certainly been true, while I am at a point in my life that I can help them learn them some knowledge that they don’t currently have, they have also been teaching me just by the ways they act and by the incredibly deep and beautiful things that they say.

God bless and all the best,

Dylan Rollins.

No comments:

Post a Comment