Sunday, July 6, 2014

Teaching is hard.

140701

            Today was our first day of classes and we would finally be meeting the children that we had been so excited to get to know. Last night there were some long hours put in on our teams sign. Yeah I guess I should go into the teams now. So while on the outside The Mamelodi Initiative may appear to be about education, it is secretly just about getting a bunch of really awesome kids from the township together into groups so that we can have a three week competition for points to prove who the best students are. While I’m mostly kidding about that, I am partially not because all the teachers are fighting to have their classes most clearly displaying class spirit by making cheers, behaving well and of course excelling in the classroom. So back to the long hours, Siya and I’s class was named the ducks, so I spent a good chunck of time making this sign for our class inspired by the Mighty Ducks movie, one of the must sees of being an American 90’s kid. All of a sudden room A3 turned into a menagerie of little scholars, I say scholars, because these were 240 kids that had all decided they would rather go to school over their winter brake than do anything else. Because of that they are all special and different from most kids I have known in the US.

            Before class Mische called attention to the massive assembly hall with no
microphone, an impressive feat to say the least. After some announcements she had the children recite the mantra of The Mamelodi Initiative program: learn, grow, dream, achieve and off to class we went. I lead my ducklings next-door to room A4, and saw that for some reason Siya and I only had two kids in our class. Oh well, it happened to work out quite well because Katie and Constance are in the same class and they also had a group of 7th and 8th graders. My students names are Zinhle and Nadipha. Today continued to be a little off balance because we still had to slam the kids with assessments so we could help them as much as possible with the time that we have. I had a lot of free time while the kids were doing assessments, so I just walked around the room a bit, thinking, reflecting and praying. After we were done with all our assessments it was time for lunch, which the The Mamelodi Initiative  provides free to every student. We went and found a nice sunny spot and I sat down with my two kids and got to know them. Zinhle is a 14 year old girl, she is very tall for her age, probably 5’9”, she speaks five languages, she plays netball for her school and she loves to shop. Nadipha is a 13 year old girl, she loves to sing, she has a very warm personality, she speaks four languages and she may be one of the cutest kids I have ever seen.

            After lunch it was time to get to our workshops and I was totally up for this, this is what I had been waiting for. I got to my room next-door in A5 and had to keep it cool as I realized Akeem, Abendnico and I would be teaching not two kids but twenty-one kids. With that first class the idea was to create my teaching environment, I had taken time to think about being warm and friendly with my students. I wanted them to know why I was passionate about it and a little of why I had come all the way from North Carolina with this class on my mind and heart. Akeem and Abendnico did the same thing, then we had the students of all ages share why they were in the workshop and what they wanted to get out of it. Nadipha sat front and center, quite and attentive. We had quite a lot of trouble that first day and a lot of opportunities for us to lean as co-teachers Of the 21 kids in my class it seemed only about 5 really wanted to be there. One little guy, named Bongani who is well loved in the program but also a bit of a clown started making some jokes in Sepedi. Well because my co-teachers and I had not discussed what we would do in such a scenario, it got dealt with a little differently than I’d have liked, but, oh well we’d figure it out later. After giving them basics on how a camera works and a little lesson about light, in which I took a flashlight and projected it through a manual lens onto the board to demonstrate how a lens can change light for the desired usage, we were done for the day.

            The kids left and I let out a huge sigh. My mind was racing and I was not feeling good at all about having to control so many kids. When I went home, I ended up in my hammock in the tree at Kilnerton typing.  
           
            As I look up at the gorgeous golden hour light being dappled through the leaves of the tree I wondered how in the world I was going to get those kids to cooperate, be engaged and see the things I have seen in photography that make it so beautiful. I am thinking about Ernest Cole, the most renowned photographer from South Africa that was born in Mamelodi. His documentary work covered the Apartheid Museum. I am thinking of him and realizing the truth that all of these kids have the same potential as he did. Today I feel exhausted, worried and a little shell shocked from all the difficulties teaching is going to be. I think of how I am going to capture The Mamelodi Initiative through film and I come up with blanks. Today ends with many questions left unanswered for me, but, even now as I sit here feeling off I take solace in the fact I am doing what I came here to do. I feel calmed knowing Jesus never said following him would be easy. I feel fulfilled knowing tomorrow is a new day with a new opportunity to work with some great kids and to do it better.

It’s boring to be fake and pretend its all rainbows and unicorns in our online presences, the best things in life often come out of struggle.

Please pray that:

The kids that signed up for my class would all show up. The fact that there were kids who somehow took the initiative to sign up but never come to program greatly concerns me.

Kids would come and be consistent in attendance and try to realize what a great opportunity they have and that they take advantage of every opportunity they can.

God bless and all the best,

Dylan Rollins.





No comments:

Post a Comment